Thursday 10 March 2016

My February Travels

February was a busy, out of the ordinary month.  On February 3rd I flew to Bali (an island in Indonesia) to meet the other MCC Indonesia staff for the annual retreat.  We had a good time worshiping together, learning, doing group activities, eating buffets and relaxing.  Our hotel was directly on the coast so we could walk down to the rocky beach multiple times a day.  It was rainy season in this part of Indonesia, but we didn’t let the rain stop us from swimming!  One day all of us snorkeled which was my first time.  The best thing about the retreat for me was connecting my experiences and struggles with my friends’ experience.  It was good to be reminded about MCC’s larger vision and how I play a small part in that.  The theme of the retreat was “Inside Out”, the journey of God transforming our mind, heart, and will to be more like Jesus.  We watched a video series and then discussed in groups.  It was just the encouragement and challenge that I needed after months of attending a church where the language is Indonesian and the denomination is unfamiliar.
(My YALT friends Valerie and Jyoti from the USA)
The retreat was 5 days and after that I travelled with my YALT (1 year MCC volunteer) friends as tourists around Bali for 4 days.  It was strange being a tourist after 6 months of living in Indonesia.  On the first day we went to see a beautiful rice field, a coffee plantation, a waterfall, and on our way to the monkey garden we decided to shop instead of paying the entrance fee.  We were desperately looking for souvenirs and at first we were shy to barter the price down, but my friend Sheria (from Uganda) was persuasive and got most things half price.  We studied her tactics and soon all of us were having fun talking to the sellers.  Most of them were impressed by our Indonesian language so they were more willing to give us a fair price.  People ask if Bali is beautiful and has great beaches, but (not that I’m biased) it wasn’t nearly as beautiful as Papua.
(Me in a Bali rice field)
After that, I was at my home in Jayapura for 1 week before flying to Singapore with the YALTers.  In Singapore we were immediately shocked by the tall buildings, the perfectly paved roads, the AC, and the fast subway.  We were only there for 2 days in order to renew our VISA.  
(The YALTers in Singapore)
From Singapore I flew to back to Indonesia with my friend Valarie and stayed at her assignment location for 4 days. I live on the island of Papua but most of the YALTers live on the island of Java.  Valarie is located in Jepara, Java.  The contrast between Java and Papua is remarkable.  There are more Christians than Muslims in Papua.  I liked hearing the mosque’s call to prayer 4 times a day in Java, because I don’t hear it often when I’m in Papua.  The Indonesian language is used differently on every island.  It was difficult to stop using the Papuan slang that has become part of my vocabulary.  There are many more differences, but some of them are far too complicated to mention in a blog update.
(Valarie, her host family and I in Jepara, Java)
I arrived home in Jayapura on March 2nd and found out I had malaria.  Three days after taking medication at home, I got a blood test and it said the malaria is gone.  Thanks to all the people that have prayed for me.  I already started going back to the office this week and am regaining energy.  It was a quick recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment